Jesse Long
Jesse Long, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained and Warranty Certified for GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, Speed Queen, Amana, Electrolux
7171957

Hello, I have a PSC23NHMCWW GE side by side with a ice ...

Customer Question

Hello, I have a PSC23NHMCWW GE side by side with a ice maker problem. I discover it was not making ice after the filter needed changed for some time. I changed the filter and still had no ice filling. I saw that the tube was frozen. I removed the tube from the back of the unit and thawed it out...still no filling action. I filled it with a cup of water and it cycles the ice perfectly but never fills. I have even pulled the hose back out and placed it in a container to see if it ever squirts any water after cyleing the maker severl times with manual fill. Still nothing. How can I isolate the problem further?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jesse Long replied 6 years ago.

Hi!
Actually, you have isolated the problem! Your excellent diagnose leads you to the water valve in the back of the refrigerator on the bottom. This is what allows the water to be sent to the ice maker. The only thing left is to listen for the hum of the valve. If you hear no hum when it is calling for water, then the valve is definitely bad. You will need to replace it.

If you have any other questions, please ask them here. If not, then please click accept. Feedback is highly appreciated and lets me know how I am doing.
Thank you!

Jesse Long, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory Trained and Warranty Certified for GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, Speed Queen, Amana, Electrolux
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Jesse Long's Post: Ok but how do I know the unit is in fact calling for the valve to turn on? Is there a way to test the valve?
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Jesse is off line at the moment.

You can use a voltmeter to test the leads going to the solinoid where they connect to it. Just put one probe in each connector and have someone work the actuator. If you get voltage replace the solinoid. If not (not likely) then start tracing the wires and find the short or broken wire.

Jesses' answer is correct. Please be sure to accept his answer and not mine.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: OK, I accepted his answer. In your comment you said to opperate the actuator??? THat's what I am unsure about. Where is that part?
To work the actuator on a GE Ice Maker:

Open the door
-Hold down the door switch so that it thinks the door is closed
-Make sure the Ice Maker is on (I believe they have metal bar that should be dropped)
-Now, there is a plastic swing arm attached underneath the ice maker. Slowly push the plastic arm in and ease it back out 5 times. This will reset the ice maker. You know you did it right when the little white arms inside the ice cube tray start to slowly turn.

Now the ice maker will go through a complete cycle. It will run the scoop arm to get rid of the ice in it, then it will call for water.

I also need to mention that there is one other way to test the valve. You need to figure out which valve runs to the ice maker, and which one runs to the water dispenser. Once you have, take off the wires going to the ice maker water valve, and use your volt meter to test the Ohms, or the resistance, on the valve. Put one probe on each spade terminal on the valve, and turn the unit to "u". When you put the probes on the opposite spade terminals, you should get a "0" reading. If you get anything else, it is bad.

Thank you!