The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

My washer wont agitate, it seems to go through

My washer won''t agitate, it seems to go through the cycles but won''t agitate or spin? Do I need to fix it or oust it?

Hi Customer;

What is the make and model number of your unit please?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: It's a kenmore \ and the model # XXXXX :(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hello, It's a kenmore model #110261690

Ok What you have is a bad lid switch. These are not that hard to change out but do require some mechanical skills. On a 1-10 scale it ranks a solid 4.

If you would like to try and tackle this yourself please let me know and I will provide the needed instructions to do it.

Awaiting your reply; The Home Smithy

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Goodmorning,
I'm a woman, and not too helpless but, I'm not a mechanic either but, if that's what you think it is and if it's not expensive to do, I'll try. Also, if I had a repair man out here would that be an expensive repair? Where can I buy the part? Do I need any special tools? Thank you!

Ok sorry for the delay.

I have uploaded the service manual to your unit (i think).

As the model numbers that are on your unit are a Sears number there is really no way to cross match the service manual that is made by Whirlpool/Maytag, (as is your unit) it is a guessing game sometimes.

The service manual for your unit has all the diagnostic proceedures, and is clearly illustrated.
You can get it by clicking here.

To download this file:

On the first page scroll down to the bottom and select "FREE"

On the next page enter the letters in the box and select "download"

Save the file to your hard drive and open it with a .pdf reader. I recommend FoxIt reader. (foxit.com) Its smaller than adobe and no spyware.

If there is something in the manual that you do not understand just post here, and I will walk you through the proceedure.

If this is not your units service manual please let me know and I will upload another. There are only three manuals the could be your unit.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: I haven't been able to download what you were sending me for some reason. Actually, just answer this and I'll be happy. Is this type of repair done by a service repair company an expensive repair, is this switch an expensive item and is this machine worth the expense? Thank you :) Leslie
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hullo!!!! If you answer the above question I'll be very very happy. Thanks, Leslie

Hi Leslie; just got home from work.

The model you have is a good one. This is about the only thing that goes bad except for the direct drive linkage.

My concern is that it might be the direct drive linkage and not the switch. Quite often they will mimic each other.

Either way the cost to change either part is about the same if you have a tech do it for you. Usually about $150.00 give, or take $20.00. If you do it yourself you can save about $100.00 on the labor.

You may be able to find a good handyperson that will do the repair for less. I charge $50.00 to replace either one.

All in all these are good dependable units. The linkage, and the lid switch are their only weak points.