Ask Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman Y...

Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman
Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman, 15 Years as Maintenance Technician
Experience:  15 Years in the Maintenance field
283538

My dishwasher does not drain the water completely, it ...

Customer Question

My dishwasher does not drain the water completely, it leaves about an inch of water in the pan. I have tried rerouting the drain hose but to no avail.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  macleaner replied 6 years ago.

Hi Not aplumber,

You re-routed the drain? Did you by chance loop it up towards the kitchen sink before connecting it to the drain line.

It has to have an inverted trap in order to drain properly and then no water comes back to the dishwasher.

So when it enter's the cabinet or where vere it drains to it need's to go up towards the cieling (normally attached to the under part of the cabinet and then down to the drain attachmnet.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to macleaner's Post: I tried what you said' but it still does the same thing, it leaves about the same amount of wateron the bottom of the dishwasher.
Expert:  Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman replied 6 years ago.

Macleaner has OPT'ed OUT ans ask if I could Help

Can you tell me the make and model please?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
whirlpool
DU840SWPTO
Thank You

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer,

Ok, let's take a look at this;

Your problem may be caused by a clogged strainer, drain valve, or pump impeller

See picture to see the impeller and pump

graphic

Food particles, and gunk will get trap in here, this may slowdown the amount of water being pumped out in the time allotted for the cycle to run.

Here is a parts breakdown it you think you need to replace the impeller

http://www.partselect.com/MultiModels.aspx?ModelNum=DU840SWPQ&searchTerm=&RefineSearch=0

If you need more help Let me know

If you find this post helpful please take a few minutes to leave Feedback.

By you leaving Positive Feedback you give your Expert additional opportunities to earn extra CASH and Recognition.

If you would like to give a Bonus they are always welcome.

If there is anything else let me know, If not click accept. Thank You Michael L.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Michael I'm sorry to have kept you waiting.
But the machine in question is about 4-5 years old but it has never been used, I just remodel my kitchen, and everything in there is new. I had a friend (plumber) install all of the plumbing for me, including disposel and dishwasher, The first time I tried to use the washer is the time my problem started.
(I can't get contact with the plumber again)
By the way the machine was kept in the box all the time before being installed. It was kept in storage.

No Problem, we can continue...

ok, check the garbage disposal attachment area for the dish machine, Make sure that the plug on the disposal was completely knocked out before he installed it to the dishwasher.

You will need to remove the hose from the dishwasher and look inside the hole, you should have at least a 1/2 inch opening with the plug knocked out.

This was a assist and I agree with this thought. Let me know if you need more help, if not please click Accept.