Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  Very handy with appliance troubleshooting and repairs.

What causes ice to form in a frost free refrigerator

Customer Question

I have a frost free refrigerator that has some age on it. Ice and water form on the lowest shelf of the appliance, but there is no moisture under the unit. The refrigerator is working fine otherwise. It is a Kenmore.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 years ago.

Generally, a build up of ice in a freezer is caused by the ingress of air (and moisture in the air). The door seals are usually to blame.

Check that you door is straight and attached correctly.

Check the rubber seals for wear. You can normally replace the seals for not a lot of money.

Check that and I will be hear if you need more help.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX for your answer. It's nice to know that there is nothing seriously wrong with my refrigerator. I don't want to have to replace it just yet. I'm trying to pay off my credit cards.

Please don't send me anymore emails about sending questions. I'll contact you if I have an important question. At $15 a pop I can't afford to ask a question every day. But I do appreciate the help I recieved today.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your accept. Please be assured that the experts here do not send emails to past paying customers.

I'll be happy to help you next time.