Jesse Long
Jesse Long, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained and Warranty Certified for GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, Speed Queen, Amana, Electrolux

How do I get rid of fine scratches on my black microwave

I just purchased a brand new ge profile black microwave. I brushed off the dust with a damp paper towel and now the whole entire surface is damaged with tiny scratches. How do I fix the finish?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jesse Long replied 8 years ago.

Thankfully, the finish on this is like a car. It is metal, then paint, then a finish. You can use a car polish on this to get those fine scratches out, but, like cars, don't expect a miracle. You can get appliance touch up paint at your local parts store, but you will notice it on there.

If you have any more questions, post them here. If not, please click accept.
Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Aren't the outside pieces made of plastic?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Also, how do I apply the car polish? Then, how do I avoid having the scratches appear again?

Where are the scratches on your unit? On the casing around it? Or on the plastic control panel?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Jesse Long's Post: Pretty much everywhere except the control panel, the venting on top, the paneling around it, and along bottom - all along the face (black) not the window.

Alright, as for the plastic, such as the venting, you can't do anything about that. You can only replace it.
The casing around the unit and the door should be metal. You can find whats metal and whats not by using a magnet. If it is metal, you can use the car polish. To do this, you will need two microfiber clothes. You will dab one cloth in the wax and rub it on the metal. Remember the karate kid? Wax on, wax off. Using circular motions does help. You want to see a thin layer evenly spread on the metal. Rub it in, but not too hard. Let it sit for a little to dry. Then take the other cloth and simply wipe it off.
Do NOT get it on the plastic, as it will perminentley stain it white.