Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

6 year old midpriced Maytag dishwasher. Loud motor noise ...

Customer Question

6 year old midpriced Maytag dishwasher. Loud buzzing noise on maximum wash, less noise on standard wash cycle but still louder than when new. Noise only on wash cycle, I think. Could it be other than motor, maybe food disposer runs at different speeds depending on the cycle or timer/electronic circuits? Is it too old to be worth fixing it? I really like the 3 racks but maytag isn't as reliable as they say per Consumer Reports.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Does this model have a dial that you turn to engage the cycles (or just a touch pad)?

Do you have tools and a volt meter/ohm meter?

Consumer reports usually says to replace the unit if it's more than seven years old. New units are also more energy efficient and use less water. They do have longer cycles though.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is a MDB8600 Maytag DW with no dial, just touch pad. The loud buzzing noise changes loudness when the unit moves to the next cycle, almost like a dial turning. The other day it even sounded ok during the wash cycle for a short time. I do have a volt meter. The problem with getting a new DW is Maytag is one of the few with 3 racks (which I like alot) but the C.U. survey rated Maytag near the bottom on reliability and none of the others had 3 racks (unless this requires a smaller motor, which could lead to this problem, in which case I would buy a new DW). If this isn't a typical problem with 3-rack assemblys, I would pay $200+- to fix this one but I don't know what it may cost to fix. I have to believe that this is'nt an unusual problem with this type of DW and someone knows what this is.

HiCustomer

The CU survery is done on percentages of all dishwashers. So, your model (which is a bit unique) may or not be bringing the average down. It's also done on dishwashers that are five years or less.

I can't say that I have heard of this issue in this particular model before. I can say that any number of things could cause this buzzing noise.

Try giving the arms a spin one at a time to see if something is causing the arms to make this noise. Check to see if one might be very loose.

Try listening carefully to see if you can pin point where this noise is coming from. Is it coming from the control board? A loose connection (or any number of parts there) might be reacting to a stronger cycle.

A service call should solve your problem for less than the $200.00 that you stated above. I say this because it appears to be running correctly (from everything you have stated) except for this noise.

Can you pinpoint the problem to the motor? Then, a loose motor mount or anything else you see there that is not firmly attached to the chassis could be the cause.

Is everything secure there and it seems to be the motor itself? Then, this repair will likely be more than $200.00.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Bernie

Experience: 27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your response. The noise seems to be coming from inside the door so a service call may be warrented.

I don't know why my it took so long to respond to my initial request(3 weeks).

HiCustomer

No problem. Thank you for using Just Answer. Let me know how you make out.

bernie