Chuck G.
Chuck G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 Yrs. Experience in the appliance repair field

How can I get our whirlpool washer to release the fabric softener

Customer Question

I fill the fabric softener in the cup but it doesn''t release into the washer during the rinse cycle like it should.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

What is the model number of your unit, please.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The model number is XXXXX It used to dispence the fabric softener and now for some reason it doesn't release it.

It is going to take me a while to locate the information on your unit. It is not in my personal database. It is available but I have to search through a bunch of manuals that only have coded manufacturers numbers. I should have something by this evening. I will opt out in case some other expert has an answer for you sooner.

Sorry for any inconvience.

Expert:  Chuck G. replied 8 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for using justanswer for your appliance questions!
Remove Your dispenser assm by pushing down on the little black release lever in the rear of the dispenser assm., wash out all the cavities, they may be plugged. Here is a break down of the dispenser.
Hope this helps!
Let me know if you need more assistance or if you have any questions.
Thank you for using

Chuck G.

Please "ACCEPT" when your question has been completely answered so I may be compensated.
Positive Feedback is very important. Bonuses are appreciated!

Expert:  Jesse Long replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately, I run into this a lot of times in the field. These do have small holes for siphoning out the fabric softener. Do clean it out like stated by Chuck. But, you will need to dilute the fabric softener from now on to keep it working. Put in the recommended amount by the manufacturer, and then fill the machines cup to the max line with water to dilute it. This will help not only the machine, but it helps the clothes as well.

If you have any more questions, please post them here. If not, please click accept.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chuck G.'s Post: I did what you said to do but the next load of laundry I did the fresh fabric softener still didn't release. I called Whirlpool to have them send somebody out. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 8 years ago.
Good Luck! / Chuck G.