The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

crisper is freezing food and freezer is not what do I do

Customer Question

it is not making ice and I have defrosted it once but it only works a short time and goes right back to the same problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

Hi jaaadded;

This sounds like either a defrost timer has gone bad,or the heater coils are not functioning.

I will need the make and model number of your unit to be sure.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: It is a GE I can`t find a model number it looks like it was taken off I bought it used. It has ice and water in the door and in is a stainless steel front and the sides are black if that helps it is fairly new. If that helps
ok I'll see what I can find, but without the model number it is going to be a shot in the dark. GE is notorious for keeping their manuals secrete as it is.

Ok does your unit look like any of these?

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Great!! Which one?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The first one

Ok what I have done is upload the service manual for your unit to rapidshare.com for your retrival.

It has all the diagnostic proceedures for your unit and will help you to locate the problem.

If you have any questionsd please feel free to post them her, and I will answer them as soon as possible.

To download this file:

Click on this link

On the first page scroll down to the bottom and select "FREE"

On the next page enter the letters in the box and select "download"

Save the file to your hard drive and open it with a .pdf reader. I recommend FoxIt reader. (foxit.com) Its smaller than adobe and no spyware.

If this answer satisfies your question please click on the accept button. If it does not, please tell me so. You are not expected to accept any answer that you are not happy with.
I do expect you to let me know if you are not satisfied, and what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.
Best regards; The Home Smithy
After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it wants me to pay for it and it is asking for a down load code

It should not be asking you to pay for anything.

Click on the link and scroll all the way to the biottom. There are two colums. One is for you to get a premium account. The other has the word FREE at the bottom. Click on that word.

The next page you will need to type the letters into the box next to them. Then click on download.

Let me know if you still have any problens