The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a Bosch SHU6805 dishwasher. It has developed a noise ...

Customer Question

I have a Bosch SHU6805 dishwasher. It has developed a noise throughout the wash cycle....a monotone loud low-pitched whine. I have confirmed that the water is pumping, and that it does discharge. The noise is not present during the final pump-out phase. It sound most like a straining motor. Must the motor be replaced or can it be the inlet valve?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 9 years ago.

Hi Leejohn7;

If it was the motor itself causing the noise then it would do it all the time, even during pump out.

The inlet valve only operates when the unit is filling with water. So that rules that out.

What I would like you to do is listen for the sound during the pumpout phase before the rinse cycle and let me know if it also stops during that pumpout.

Please let me know whether it does or does not make the noise.

Awaiting your reply; THS

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: THS

Thanks for the reply. I just sat through an entire wash cycle (boring!). It does seem to quiet down during the pump-out phase, and then begin to cry again when the rinse begins. Of course, its hard to know exactly what's happening on these newer modelsw with the push buttons rather than the dial indicator.
What say you?

Leejohn;

about how old is this washer?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Sorry for the delay....
We bought this house 1 1/2 years ago with the washer; I'd guess less than 5 years. Couldn't determine from Bosch website.
Thanks

Ok;

If the unit has been quiet up until this time I think what has happened is one of the isolation bushings has worn out, and the motor is hitting something that acts like a sound transmission pathway. In other words what you are hearing is the motor against the chassis.

What really confirmed my thought is that the unit doesnt make the sound, or at least not as badly when it is in the drain mode. The motor is reversed during this stage which pulls it back onto the rubber bushing partially, and the noise is abated by the bushing.

You probably think that that cant make that much noise. But these dishwashers are notorious for being either real loud or real quiet. The bushings make all the diffrence in the world.

If this answer satisfies your question please click on the accept button. If it does not, please tell me so. You are not expected to accept any answer that you are not happy with. I do expect you to let me know if you are not satisfied, and what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.
Best regards; The Home Smithy
After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Sounds plausible. I'll try to find the bushing on the Bosch website, which does have blowups of the model.
Thanks