The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

how can I get ice box to go into defrost mode, it only ...

Customer Question

how can I get ice box to go into defrost mode, it only clicks when light switch is depressed 5 times. It is a frigidair mdl #frs26hf7bb2 and unit doest''t defrost.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

Most units such as yours are controlled by a defrost timer. This is probably the cause of your unit not defrosting. Of course there are other things that can cause a no defrost condition to occure also.

What depressing the light switch has to do with the defrost cycle I have no clue of. Is this something that a tech told you to do? Or did you read it somewhere?

Can you tell me if you hear a fan come on if you allow the temp to increase inside the unit? It will usually coincide with the compressor turning on.

At present is there a lot of frost buildup in the freezer section?

Any ice or water puddling at the bottom of the freezer or refer section?

If you would please answer these few questions I will be able to provide you with the best course of action to resolve your problem.

Best regarsds; THS

Please do not accept this as it is not a complete answer to your question, and I possibly may have to opt out if I do not have a solution to your problem.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The thermastat was faulty, and i replaced it. You can put the refrig in defrost manually by depressing the light switch 5 times in 6 seconds, and it starts the defrost mode. Thanks for your reply. Bobby