Chuck G.
Chuck G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 Yrs. Experience in the appliance repair field
8049636

I have Maytag dryer when starting it smells burnt wont run

Customer Question

Maytag dryer 8 years old.
When starting it smells burnt and then it won''t run. When it cools down it runs
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 9 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for using justanswer!
Sorry to say but it sounds like your dryer motor has failed. Most likely lint has built up in and around your motor and damaged the bearings or the stator of the motor. I can research the part # XXXXX the motor if you like. I will need the Model# XXXXX the dryer. The motor has an internal overload protector. so as it heats up, the overload kicks out and stops the dryer. When it cools down, the overload resets, thats why it will restart.

Good luck, Chuck G.

Let me know if you need more assistance or if you have any questions.
Thank you for using justanswer.com

Chuck

__________________
Please "ACCEPT" when your question has been completely answered so I may be compensated. Positive Feedback is very important. Bonuses are appreciated!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Chuck G.'s Post: Should I call a repair man or buy a new one
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 9 years ago.
A new motor, parts and labor will most likely be in the 150.00 to 170.00 dollar range.
I never like to advise to fix or replace. Depending on the condition of the dryer itself.
Remember that all dryers are not the same. If you plan to buy new, be sure to tell the salesman what kind of washer you have. Each manufacture of washers spin at different speeds. If you can swing a new set, treat yourself. You wont be sorry in the long run!

Chuck
Thank you for using justanswer.com

Chuck

__________________