Ask Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman Y...

Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman
Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman, 15 Years as Maintenance Technician
Experience:  15 Years in the Maintenance field
283538

How do you hardwire a built in oven if the previous oven ...

How do you hardwire a built in oven if the previous oven used a 3 prong plug?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman replied 6 years ago.

Question, can you tell me why you need to hardwire it in?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Michael L.......JA Appliance Repair's Post: Well I am replacing a microwave oven with a convection microwave oven. Before I order the unit I wanted to estimate how difficult it would be to put the new unit in and whether I needed an electrician or not. The installation instructions call for a junction box and to actually hardwire the micro/oven to the junction box. Currently I have a regular electrical outlet in the built-in area.
Can you tell me the make and model, I would like to see what they are trying to tell you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Michael L.......JA Appliance Repair's Post: Yes, it is a KitchenAid 30" Built in Microwave, Architect Series II Model KBHS109SSS

ok, in where you placed the existing plug in already, you have the following colors correct

red

black

white

green

Correct?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Michael L.......JA Appliance Repair's Post: It is a normal household electrical outlet with cover. I could plug a hairdryer or my current microwave into it.....3 prong outlet. I have not removed the cover. It would require completely removing the microwave (a 2 person job)and removing the outlet cover et al.

Our house is 11 years old. So the plugs are standard for that time frame.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer,

Ok, let's take a look at this;

Here is how I am reading this, you will need to run a new line to your Microwave, this needs to be a black, and red, both hot and on a maximum of a 20 amp breaker each.

Then you will need to run a white and a ground

See the pictures this is not a standard 110 hookup, and your plugin will not work, sorry

graphic

graphic

graphic

You will defiantly want to have a electrician run this for you. This is going to be quite a job

If you need more help Let me know

If you find this post helpful please take a few minutes to leave Feedback.

By you leaving Positive Feedback you give your Expert additional opportunities to earn extra CASH and Recognition.

If you would like to give a Bonus they are always welcome.

If there is anything else let me know, If not click accept. Thank You Michael L.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Michael L.......JA Appliance Repair's Post: So let me make sure I understand. I will need to have this on a seperate circuit breaker(s) 20amps each. Which would require an electrician to install a new set of wires (one black and one red both hot). What should I expect to pay for something of this nature?

Yes,

the white is the neutral, green is the ground, and black and red are hot.

Any time you need to do this it could get costly, I would suggest if the home is yours, you might see if you have a electrician friend that can assist you.

Depending on the distance I would say that it can run no less the $300 and up, That's saying it was a close run.

If the power box is far away it can start adding up quick, the cable, labor to run it the distance can really add up.

I am sorry to have to be the barrier of bad news, but again, this will be quite a job

Experience: 15 Years in the Maintenance field