The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

My Maytag PYE/G4500 dryer has blown its second ...

Customer Question

My Maytag PYE/G4500 dryer has blown it''s second thermal fuse since the first one a month ago. I jumpered across the fuse, (as I did the first time to determine if it was blown) and the drum light comes on, but when I turn the timer dial to a setting it blows the breaker without closing the door and pushing the start button?

Ron Glowatcky
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

Hi Ron;

The problem you are having is you have a direct short to ground in your system somewhere. You will have to track it down, and correct the problem, or you will only keep blowing thermal fuses and breakers.

As this is blowing the breaker it should be an obvious short. I would look inside the control panel first. Considering that you do not have to push the start button this is where I would start looking. Then check the timer.

In order to eliminate the possibilities you can disconnect the harnesses, and then try plugging the unit in. If it trips the breaker the problem is not in that wiring harness.

When you locate the problem but do not know how to fix it you can just post here and I can help you repair the problem.

If this answer satisfies your question please click on the accept button. If it does not, please tell me so. You are not expected to accept any answer that you are not happy with.
I do expect you to let me know if you are not satisfied, and what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.
Best regards; The Home Smithy
After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: Dear Home Smithy,

Your advice is exactly what I came up with myself after 11 hr and 13 min. I put my money down as earnest money because the web site stated I would be more likely get prompt results. This service is a great concept, but doesn't work for me if I have to wait half a day to get an answer. I received a "free" answer within a few minutes after posting on another website. Although that answer did not narrow it down to the control panel, it did confirm that I had a short, and I was able to come up with the same result as you.

Thanks for your time. I would suggest that you attempt to respond sooner next time. I realize you may have been at work or busy with something else, but the whole point of this website was a quick response, and doesn't offer any value to me unless it can do so.