The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

I would like to install a furnace in my garage to heat the ...

Customer Question

I would like to install a furnace in my garage to heat the room above. I''m waiting on a price from a heating contractor. He is offering a 80% furnace because of the cold garage location . I do not like the idea of venting this furnace up the side of my house ( due to the Gabriel roof construction through the roof is not a great alternative). What is the problem with a 90% in a cold area? Can a power vent be used on a 80%? Which application would be more cost efficient?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

After thinking about your question for a bit. I can not think of a good reason to not have a 90% in a colder room.

I just recently assisted in the install of 3 units in the attic space of three homes. This space may be a little warmer that your basement but not by much that is for sure. All attics must be vented to the outside of the home for proper air flow during the hot season. So these heaters are subjected to some pretty cold temperatures during the winter.

As for which one is going to be cheaper the answer is simple. The 90 may cost more now but the overall savings in the future will pay that added expense back many times over.

If this answer satisfies your question please click on the accept button. If it does not, please tell me so. You are not expected to accept any answer that you are not happy with.
I do expect you to let me know if you are not satisfied, and what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.
Best regards; The Home Smithy
After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.