Ask Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman Y...
Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman
Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman, 15 Years as Maintenance Technician
Experience:  15 Years in the Maintenance field
283538

Had furnace serviced and cleaned two weeks ago because of ...

Had furnace serviced and cleaned two weeks ago because of an igniter issue. Had service guy back out because of issue with igniter. He made adjusment (recognized issue as furnace was starting up upon his arrival) because not all burners were lighting. It seems now that after this adjustment and service cleaning, there is a popping/metal sound at the end of the cycle (cool down period?). What could this be (dangerous?) and do I need to have the tech come back out for futher evaulation? Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman replied 9 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer,

Ok, let's take a look at this;

No, that is most likely the new parts, or dust, metal shavings, and so on that he cleaned and serviced.

The metal is expanding and contrasting. After a little while the burner will become seasoned in a matter of speaking, and stop.

And if it is the dirt and dust, same thing, after it runs a while it should stop.

Some may even be coming from the ducts, since your heater was working only half of the burners, then it is running and producing more heat now

If you need more help Let me know

If you find this post helpful please take a few minutes to leave Feedback.

By you leaving Positive Feedback you give your Expert additional opportunities to earn extra CASH and Recognition.

If you would like to give a Bonus they are always welcome.

If there is anything else let me know, If not click accept. Thank You Michael L.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
This "noise" began yesterday after the adjustment; however, I just stood in front of the wall where the filter goes down below and heard this sound which is faint pop of metal. Our tech did a complete cleaning including taking the blower out and using a air compressor to rid it of dust/dirt of which we smelled a bit afterwards. As you said, it seems as if there is more heat and air flow. Is it a safe bet to chalk this up to expanding/contracting of duct work at furnace because of this through cleaning? Again, this "noise" was never heard before. Sorry for the persistence, thanks for your help.

Quote:
Is it a safe bet to chalk this up to expanding/contracting of duct work at furnace because of this through cleaning

Yes this would be my thought.

Quote:
Our tech did a complete cleaning including taking the blower out and using a air compressor to rid it of dust/dirt of which we smelled a bit after wards

If he pulled the blower, and gave it a very through cleaning, it is very possible that he cleaned the burner, if he did, even tho he vacuumed it, there would be dust and metal pieces shavings and Burrs, that would pop like popcorn for a while.

If you do have a real concern you may want to have him inspect it one more time, just to set your fears to rest.

But based on what you are describing I would say you are ok.