Chuck G.
Chuck G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 Yrs. Experience in the appliance repair field

how do I replace dog agits on a whirlpool washer

No Comment Added
Hi Nancy, Thanks for using justanswer for your appliance questions.

To replace the agitator dogs you need to first UNPLUG YOUR WASHER!
Ok now that i have your attention you need to remove the cap off your agitator, or the fabric softener dispenser. The next piece that needs to be removed is the seal cap, just pull up on this piece to remove. Remove the 7/16" bolt that holds the agitator down. Pull up the educated and separate the two pieces. The agitator dogs are the 4 teardrop plastic pieces in the center of the agitator assm. replace and reverse the steps to reassemble!
Let me know if you need more assistance or if you have any questions.
Thank you for using

Please "ACCEPT" when your question has been completely answered so I may be compensated. Positive Feedback is very important. Bonuses are appreciated!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chuck G.'s Post: how do i separate the two pieces to get at the agitator dogs?
Just pull the two pieces apart, you might have to tug a bit, but they will pull apart / chuck
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chuck G.'s Post: I don't think I made myself clear. Sorry. I have the agitator out of the machinebut still can't get at the 'dogs'. The top part spins, I can see the dogs through a 'clear' plastic cover...but can't reach them...not even sure if that is the part I need but once I see the condition of it apart I think I will understand...I pulled very hard...standing on the bottom part and pulling the go. But it is the 'clear' piece (i think) i need to move.
please give me your model# XXXXX i can get a break down
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chuck G.'s Post: LSB6400KQ0
here is a breakdown after the bolt is removed , agitator removed, the rest is just a slip on fit.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it looks as if there are four plastic tabs holding the 'clear' plastic piece on top of the dogs. The dogs are extending out from around a yellow circular piece that is under the 'clear ' piece. Do the tabs have to be bent...looks like they woudl be permantly damaged.
Ok, on the diagram #3 must be separated from #4 that will release #9. The bolt must be completely removed from the agitator.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The bolt was removed a long time is out of the washer...I do not have any that is pointless. Again the agitator is sitting on the desk is my office....I can not separate the agitator itself to get at the dogs.
sorry i sent that to you but it got lost

more info:
Give # XXXXX a firm tap with a piece of 2x4 or a soft faced hammer. It will pop apart.
Customer: replied 8 years ago. is late...and I never thought was would be hours...
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Apparently my previous message was lost...the picture does not exactly look like mine.
Since you have your agitator out, take it to your local appliance parts dealer he will most likely intall your agitator dogs for you. Hope this helped you

please click accept so we can get compensated! / please leave feedback

thanks again, Chuck G.