Chuck G.
Chuck G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 Yrs. Experience in the appliance repair field

I just installed a new controller board in my Amana ...

Customer Question

I just installed a new controller board in my Amana AFD2535DEQ because it is not defrosting. The new board will not allow me to make a temperature setting therefore the compressor won''t run. Is there a reset feature on a new istall or some other procedure necessary to get the new control board to function?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for using justanswer!
The control you changed should have been a direct install with no programming. If there was a program requirement a paper would have been packed with the control. Your fridge may have went into a defrost as soon as you plugged the unit in. Unplug the fridge and wait 5 minutes, then plug back in and recheck. Possibly you may have not got the ribbon connector back in tight . Re step your install.
Hope this helps! Remember UNPLUG this appliance before servicing!
Let me know if you need more assistance or if you have any questions.
Thank you for using justanswer.com

Chuck

__________________
Please "ACCEPT" when your question has been completely answered so I may be compensated. Positive Feedback is very important. Bonuses are appreciated!
Chuck G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 Yrs. Experience in the appliance repair field
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK. There was no documentation with the card. I also called the distributor and they didn't have anythig either. As soon as I plug the card in, the displays both flash zeros. The fan will start after a delay and the refrigerator damper will open. After awhile, they time out. The compressor never comes on nor the defrost heater. I have continuity through the heater and defrost thermostat also. If I keep removing and reinstalling the plug on the left side, which is the compressor/defrost circuitry, I can get the display to stop flashing. This will also stop the fan cycle I described earlier but nothing else will turn on; compressor or defrost heater.
I need to point out also, this is the 2nd such card which behaves in the exact same way. I can't thik of anything else to point out and thank you for trying to help.
Expert:  Jesse Long replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

I just took a look at the wiring diagram for your fridge. There really isn't much that could be affecting this other then the board. Start over. Even though I know you checked it, undo everything, and reconnect it. Make sure your grounds are connected right. It just seems kind of odd that it would happen to two boards in a row.

This really seems like a wiring problem.

Also, the not defrosting problem could be the defrost thermostat. You need to get a reading when the unit is cold. In fact, it should be closed at this point, but it should open when it is cold enough. If it doesn't, then that is where your original problem is.

I hope this helps. If it does, please click accept. If not, please continue to ask and post symptoms.
If you do accept, please leave me feedback so that I know how I am doing. Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've disconnected and reconnected this board several times. Each time you can hear both relays operate at the same time. Also, the digital display continuosly flashes. As for the grounds, there are only 2 molded plugs; one on each side of the board.

When the unit is cold, I can read continuity through the defrost circuit. I can unplug one side of the defrost heater and I lose continuity. That tells me the defrost thermostat is functioning properely. Aslo, there is no wiring diagram or schematic on this unit.

I appreciate your help but what else is there to check. Is there a special sequence to follow during installation? Has there been any revisions?

-alan
I did find the information on this board. It does need to be programmed to the fridge. The reason is because this is a generic board. I believe it's called the jazz board or something. Either way, it needs to be programmed! There should have been a sheet with the board describing how, if not, call Amana. There is a sequence of buttons to push according to each fridge.

I hope you are doing this all with the fridge unplugged. If not, you may have already destroyed that board.

And, by the way, you do not want continuity through the circuit at this time. You want the defrost thermostat to not have continuity. This is how it works:
When the board sends the signal, it goes through the defrost thermostat and through the defrost heater. When it gets warm enough (40ish degrees), the thermostat cuts power, meaning it has no continuity. Thus, at room temperature, the thermostat should not have continuity. This means that your thermostat is bad. It is allowing current through it when it shouldn't be. This is where your original problem is.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Jesse,
You are so far the most thorough troubleshooter I've been in contact with on this forum.

The board did not come with any documentation. I'll check back with the supplier as soon as they open.

As for the continuity check, when the unit is cold, I have continuity. When it has been off, warm by being left open to defrost, the circuit reads open. That should indicate proper operation of the defrost thermostat. The old card will run the compressor but won't defrost so I have some use of the unit in its' current condition.

Amana will not help me. I've tried calling them twice. The will only schedule a service call. Is there anywhere else to get this programming info? And if so, how is programming to be accopmplished with the unit unplugged?
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I did some research for you today at work. There should be a plastic bag with a tech sheet inside under your fridge, behind the toe panel. The tech sheet should give you the instructions on how to program your jazz board. there is a code on your model serial tag. You will need that code!

Thank you for using justanswer.com

Chuck

__________________
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Chuck,
Unfortunately, your response came too late. I had to finally call for service because our refrigerator has been down for two weeks. You are right. The service man went to the right underside of the refrigerator in front of the toe kick just as you described. He programmed it in about 5 minutes and was done. The unit is back in service now and I now have the spec. sheets for future use.

Thank you for your help.
-alan
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 6 years ago.
sorry we took so long, but a good lesson learned!
Goog Luck!
Thank you, Chuck