LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I am trying to ID the on the bottom of a large pencil holder

Customer Question

I am trying to ID the mark on the bottom of a large pencil holder shaped Chinese Vase. It is glazed white chili pepper on the bottom. It is earth color with only glazed white designs, and dots. I have a pic if you like.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: From the Beijing area, been in family for many generations.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 11 days ago.

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Yes, please post photos of the overall vase and then a clear close up of all markings. I appreciate the help and look forward to completing this for you. To post photos here click on file upload, add files or paperclip button and follow the prompts. Thank you again

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Pictures are not uploading...opens file chooser, allows me to choose, then window disappears and nothing happens once I choose. Will keep trying..
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Cropped it...it was too big Here is one pic

Thank you I can see the mark and can you get an overall photo of the piece to upload? Thank you How tall is this piece?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK, Here are two pics,
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It is 5 inches in diameter and 5.5 inches tall.

Thank you this is a Chinese brush holder. Ming Dynasty, the characters around the holer are long life and double happiness, The bottom mark is a kiln mark of where it was fired. I can not find it in any of my data bases or books so it could have been a small kiln. This is a rare piece and worth $2000-3000.00 and will only go up in value if you hold on to it. It appears to be in excellent condition and I see no damage or cracks.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars: 1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 6 days ago.