Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a steel engraving from 1880s in it's original frame.

Customer Question

I have a steel engraving from 1880s in it's original frame. The painting was done by Hayword Hardy. Can you tell me it's value
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It was engraved on Strand St. in England and is called The Thoroughbred. It is one of a series called The Intrepid and the latest edition is called The Friends series. This engraving was in my Great Aunt's dining room in Wales.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: We had it reframed in the original frame to protect the paper, we did change the glass, and a numbered board on the back was lost by the framer. The American Morgan Horse Association has the original print in their archives and there's a magazine in my posession of the print on the cover of the Morgan Assn. magazine from November 1988.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups. Thoughtful responses take time.

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame? Please do not remove from the frame.

Is the engraving numbered?

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Kind regards,
Doris