Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

My mother has a, reverse on glass painting and I told her I

Customer Question

My mother has a ***** *****, reverse on glass painting and I told her I would look into finding its value.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It was given to her in the 1970s, by a friend from England, to repay a debt. It is of a girl with a bird. I once looked it up a bit and it is a titled work. It has the mark of the Royal Academy. It was called crayon artist at the time, I believe.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Nothing I can think of
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 13 days ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Is it possible to upload photos of the item, including any and all marks?

If you don’t have photos, I can do my best without them—just let me know—but it’s more accurate with photos.

There should be a +ADD FILES feature next to our Send button.

If not, then there is a paperclip above the reply box that you click to attach photos.

If you need help with photos, you can call Customer Service at no charge at 1-***-***-****. The phone call pop-up you may get is for help with the actual appraisal, not for technical stuff like photos. There’s no charge for customer service to help you with photos.

I look forward to working with you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok, so I am in ny and my mom is in fla. I will get her to send me some photos.

No hurry! Cel phone photos are fine.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Here's a few....btw, I made an error....there are two pieces. O is the ***** *****....the girl w the bird..it's a lithograph !
The second is the reverse...we dont know the artist....but in 1974, when my mom got it reframed, the framer offered her $5,000.
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 11 days ago.

Thanks!

The engraving is "Betsy in Trouble," engraved by Schiavonetti after Russell. The image is very small--you attached a thumbnail and it's not easy to enlarge--but my feeling is that this is an early 20th century reproduction of the engraving, rather than an original 18th century printing. Regardless, even if 18th century the resale value would be around $200 - $250 framed.

I did not get images of the reverse painting yet, just the Betsy piece (all 5 you uploaded). If you could upload the others in a larger size, that would help a lot.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok , yes, thank you. What does engraved Schiavonetti after Russell mean?
I only have this one image of the Reverse....we can try to take and send more, if need be. Let's start with this one.
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 10 days ago.

Russell did an original work of art--a painting. Schiavonetti is an engraver, who created the engraving plate to make the prints that look just like the painting.

Regarding the reverse painting, it's quite hard to tell from that photo. The quality is very nice, but I can't say whether it is a 19th century piece, or a 20th century piece. I can give you some ballpark ideas of value in either case--but what is the approximate size?