Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a mounted photo that I believe was part of the Burke-

Customer Question

I have a mounted photo that I believe was part of the Margaret Burke-White exhibit of Fort Peck Dam, Fort Peck, MT 1936 (Cover for the first issue of Life magazine). I purchased it about 25 years ago at a San Diego Western Art Auction. How would I have it authenticated, valued and perhaps sold?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: My research over the years indicated that M. Burke-White did her own development and mountings for exhibits. There are photos of the Fort Peck Dam Exhibit. The photos of the exhibit appear to match the size and shape of this particular photo.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Hi~

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is no tool bar on your website as it comes up.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Are there any inscriptions or notations on the backside? What is the size and how heavy is the stock paper?

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The photo itself is 19 inches x 14 1/2 mounted on a 1/8 inch firm display board that has indications that it was framed. The board is 22 x 33 inches. No markings of any kind on back. There are remnants of a thin brown framing paper attached to it that is peeling at the corners. I have not removed that to see if there are markings underneath.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Is the photo completely mounted down to the backboard?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there are framing centering pencil marks at the corners.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Thank for the dimensions and additional information, please allow me some time to look this over for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would like to know: 1) do you agree that is a photo of the Ft. Peck Dam machinery? I think it is because it matches the apparent size and shape of the Burke-White showing photos. I am looking for the photo I saw of the easel mounted photos for her show that was covered in Life Magazine. I think it was that original Life Mag issue on line. 2) Do you agree that she developed and mounted her own work?
3) I can find no other photographic essay or demo of the Ft. Peck Dam machinery, can you?
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

In order to answer these questions, I would really need to handle the photo you have in person.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora