Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have an old vase that has a markersmark on the bottom

Customer Question

Hello. I have an old vase that has a markersmark on the bottom which is waves underneath a sunburst that i cannot find anything about. The vase is very large and has grapes on it with frogs on the handles
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: No that is all i know. It has a very striking glaze on it and the makersmark sticks out of the bottom if that makes sense. The bottom is fired and glazed as well
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups. Thoughtful responses take time.

What is the size in inches?

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the vase.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I added pics can you view them? I see them attached at the bottom but it didnt let me hit send on them
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The largest part of the vase is 27 inches around
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
about 9 inches tall
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is very heavy

Thank you for the information and photos. They really help.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I want you to have the best answer.

I have several customers ahead of you.

I should return within an hour.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Doris. I appreciate the help.

You are welcome.

i am having a difficult with the photo of the mark.

Is there more to the mark other than a sun and three wavy lines?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No that is all there is

I searched and searched my many books and databases but I am unable to identify the maker. This is studio art in the late majolica style of about 1930s-40s. It appears also to have been influenced by the popular Rookwood styles of the period.

My research of similar studio art pieces indicates the estimated retail value would be $200-250 assuming good condition and depending on sale location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Doris. I recognized this piece as Studio Art however i was hoping to identify the makers mark of the piece. I appreciate you trying to find out.

It is just not in any of my many references. I am truly sorry.

Please consider giving me a POSITIVE RATING. It is the only way I AM CREDITED BY JUST ANSWER for my knowledge, time and work.
You should see five stars. This is where you rate me.