Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

We are down sizing and have several antiques furniture dolls

Customer Question

We are down sizing and have several antiques furniture dolls coins sheet music stamp collections . I had an auctioneer to look at things he tells me that most people do not want antiques any more . Is this true or not I am confused I need some HELP can you advise me in this situation ? I live in Elizabethtown Pennsylvania .
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups. Thoughtful responses take time.

Are you asking how to get the most money for your antiques?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Yes I guess that is my question I am not good at all this computer stuff but if you need pictures I can have my daughter do what needs to be done . is their dealers in my area that I can get in touch with do you buy antiques from sellers ?

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. This is the very best way to achieve the highest selling value for all your pieces. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Since you are not computer savvy, you will need to ask your daughter or pay a small amount to a local teenager to help you.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

A method that could be very effective would be to place a classified in the "Maine Antique Digest" It has a large readership of collectors all across the country.

I highly recommend this method. They only charge $25 for 25 words in a classified ad. This publication is a monthly newspaper as well as on their internet website.

http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/advertising

Craigslist.com in Harrisburg or Lancaster may best your quickest way to sell your items for a good price.

See: https://lancaster.craigslist.org

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org

If do not mind wholesale prices, then these are some dealers in your area.

Dunn's Antiques & Collectibles -(###) ###-####/p>

Burning Bridge Antique Mall -(###) ###-####/p>

Crossroads Antique Mall -(###) ###-####/p>

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris