Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

S. only. Clean lines teapot. Found a similar one online but

For Robert S. only. Clean lines teapot. Found a similar one online but different mark. Please advise if this one is valuable as the one I saw online was selling at quite a high price. Thank you.

Hello
I wanted to let you know that someone has looked at this question. Robert can help you with what you need when he signs in. I will opt out now, so this will appear on the question board in order for another expert to see it.
Glenda

Thanks, Glenda.

Hi Kalina,

Just letting you know I've got this one, I'll have an answer on the clean lines pot as soon as I can.

Best wishes,
Robert

Half-moon Yixing teapot.

This half-moon form teapot is rather special.

The form is inspired by the half-barrel shape of eaves tiles, typical of the Western Han dynasty, that had beautifully decorated end caps. some of which are semi-circular as in the shape of your teapot.

The calligraphy is a flowery form of ancient seal script and translates as the two characters:

傳世

Meaning "Handed Down" or "Tradition"

The artist's mark on the underside of the lid reads:

李錦泉

"Li Jinquan"

which interestingly pulls up not one mention in any of my references. This is not unusual as there were truly thousands of unrecorded potters and potter's marks -a single individual often had several marks throughout his active span of years.

The fact that Li Jinquan is unrecorded is that he's either extremely recent (unlikely looking at the piece) or ancient, in other words Qing Dynasty. I would go with the latter. This is also borne out by the lack of a kiln stamp on the base which is atypical and almost never seen on 20th century Yixing examples.

My opinion is that this is late Qing at the newest, and could be older.

I would give it an auction value in the range of $800 - $1250.

You should therefore insure it for at least $2500.

Very nice find!

Best wishes

Robert.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yippee it's been a great day... and this just adds to it I love it as usual thank you for the in-depth background. Please respond so I can close

So pleased for you! That will certainly keep you in the hunt!

Experience: Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.