Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I purchased a D. H. Chiparus bronze at an estate auction

Customer Question

I purchased a D. H. Chiparus bronze at an estate auction today-can't find the statue on any of the sights I usually do my research-can you help me
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: The bronze is female 17" tall -she is nude on top wearing a stole around her neck-a headdress and no shoes long skirt that rises up behind her -the base is green marble and D.H. Chiparus is on the base of the bronze
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Looks like she is wearing long sleeves on her arms made in the same design her skirt is
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you get it
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the image.

Please add a well-lit clear in focus close up of the Chiparus signature on this as well.

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hope these are better
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the images. Unfortunately, this is not an authentic figural by the early 20th century sculptor Demétre Haralamb Chiparus (1886 - 1947). This is a later 20th century Chinese figural that was stamped dubiously with the Chiparus name in the base. I realize this is not the type of news you wanted to read. This would have decorative value moreso than an antique collectible for art investment purposes.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora