Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a print that I recently found outside a dumpster.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a print that I recently found outside a dumpster. It's beautiful. Not sure why someone would want to throw it out. It is signed but I cannot make out the artist signature. Was wondering if this was a good place to find out some info on it.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I'm not sure. It was secured in a very well put together frame too
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for submitting your question to Just Answer.
When an expert signs on that can help you with this they will see it and pick it up for you. I will opt out so they can see this on the board when they sign on.
Glenda

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. It measures 10" x 13 1/2" And is well secured in a glass frame, so that the print doesn't touch the glass
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

Are you certain it is a print and not an original mostly graphite drawing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know actually. How do you tell? Why two signatures? Like I said I just found it by a dumpster where I bring my trash and thought it looked pretty cool. Lol
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All I know is that someone paid a good price for the frame it's in. The frame alone was a couple hundred.
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

Usually a spacer (seperating glass from picture) in a frame is done to protect a charcoal or pastel drawn picture, which can 'stick' to the glass if set against it. However, good framing does not always mean an artwork has high monetary value; an item of sentimental value can also have careful, professional framing. If you can capture some really clear, very in-focus close-ups of the surface I may be able to tell through photos for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I understand in regards ***** ***** I am able to touch the surface without smudging it. When looked at on the side I am able to see a gloss type look where the black parts stand out or are risen so to say, and the flower parts not darkened.
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

When I zoom the close-up images there appears to be a dot matrix pattern indicative of machine printing, so it does appear to be a print and not the original graphite drawing. The signature is a bit on the tip of my tongue, I recognize it, but it is not coming to me readily. At this juncture, I will opt out and open your question again to all the experts in case someone else may recognize the artist.

~Nora

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thank you for all your help. I would like to know who the artist is. I appreciate you placing my question in the open forum again.
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Please allow me time to review your photos and research the artist. I will post back when completed. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your willingness to help.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
HI Tanya,Just wanted to touch base back with you to see if you have had any luck in finding the artist. It has been a few days. Let me know if you can. Thanks.Pattie