Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a and Hap silver plated tea pot and stand with

I have a Reed and Hap silver plated tea pot and stand with warming dish that was my grandmothers, and is probably 85 to 100 years old. I want to mail it to my daughter in law and don't know how much to insure it for.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: It has one or two very tiny spots where the plate has warn out. I jus polished it with Wrights silver polish and it looks lovely...

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your silverplated teapot and stand.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and a close up of the maker's mark and I'll tell you all about it and give you a value.

Many thanks,

Robert.

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

You need to be logged in to the JustAnswer site to do this. You can’t do it from email.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Alternatively, if you can collar a passing teenager with an iPhone they would have photos posted here in about two minutes.

Thanks R.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't see a paper clip icon.

Not sure why the paperclip isn't showing.

Try this link for help:

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now I see two small dents. Oh, my. But I want to know how much to insure the pot to mail with UPS. Thanks.

Great photos, thanks! I can see exactly what you have now.

I'll have an insurance value and a quick description for you as soon as I can.

Many thanks,
Robert

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bummer that taking so much of your time.

No problem! I'm working on one or two projects at once, so not taking my time up at all!

I see one of the little dents you mentioned, which are not going to affect value that much on a piece like this. I would not worry about them.

What you have is actually called a tea kettle and warming stand, for providing the boiling water for pouring into the teapot. It was the crowning glory of the tea tackle in all the best drawing rooms of the day. The burner was filled with spirit alcohol and kept the water in the kettle "screeching hot" as William Makepeace Thackeray described the necessary temperature for the making of proper tea in his 1869 "The Irish Sketch Book".

It was made by the very reputable maker, Reed & Barton, of Taunton, MA. in an Art Nouveau pattern that dates it to around 1890 - 1910.

As for value, this similar one

http://i.imgur.com/EMArAAS.jpg

sold on line for $152. This was some time ago and is a little on the low side for today's prices. I would give yours an auction/on line value in the range of $200 - $300.

It therefore has a full retail or replacement value of $600 which is what you should insure it for.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Robert. A good name I have son and grandsons with the Robert name. It was exactly the information I needed, and I'll let my daughter-in-law know what you said. I think she'll like that.

Yes Robert is a great name! It seems like you have the same tradition for it as we do in our family. It's gone father to son for longer now than the age of your tea kettle!

So glad you have some info to pass on with the piece to your daughter-in-law, what a generous gift, I'm sure she'll get years of pleasure out of it.