Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Personal Property Appraisals
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a baseball signed by ty cobb How much is it worth, My

Customer Question

I have a baseball signed by ty cobb How much is it worth
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: My grandmother was a nurse at emory hospital in Atlanta. Ty cobb was admitted their and signed the baseball 2 weeks before he died. It is dated & signed to me
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: It says To Al from Ty Cobb and has a date on it. The ball is in a safe deposit box so I dont know exact date
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups. Thoughtful responses take time.

What is the date?

Condition?

Was it ever used in a game? If so, which one?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The ball was never used. It has always been wrapped in paper. Condition is perfect. I need to go to the bank and look in safe deposit box for date it was 2weeks before he died

When did he die?

1961.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
July 17, 1962
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1961

My research indicates that the estimated retail value of your signed Ty Cobb baseball would be $13,000-15,000 assuming it has been certified. Although you know it is genuine, a collector will want to have certification from an independent service as proof.

This is one such service that is nationally recognized.

Certification of Baseballs

http://www.psacard.com/Services/AutographedBaseballProcess/

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks

You are welcome.

I am only credited by JA for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris