rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

We inherited a 5 piece wilcox international silver service.

Customer Question

We inherited a 5 piece wilcox international silver service. It includes a tray, coffee pitcher, tea pitcher, sugar and creamer. It is the american rose pattern. Can you shed any light on it's value? I don't think it's silver plate.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
Customer: Are you familiar with this pattern? I've never seen a pattern this beautiful. Is it rare?
JA: No. I'm the Antiques Appraiser's Assistant. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so. How do I find out its value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 3 months ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. There were no photos of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks on the bottom.
The add files feature works best if you add one pic, add something like PIC 1 in the text box, hit send, then do the next.
Once you do add pictures, give me some time to research.
No need to sit by the computer, you will get an email when I respond.

Will you be able to add photos?

I will answer without photos since I am familiar with this set. Photos just help with accuracy, but are not absolutely necessary.

This is a silver plated (not sterling silver) five-piece tea service in the American Rose pattern made first by Wilcox of Meriden, Ct

and became part of the patterns offered after Wilcox was acquired by International Silver. If the bottom reads Webster-Wilcox, then the set dates to after 1961 when the additional company was acquired and added to the International Silver family. Your set, if marked Wilcox, dates to the 1920's to 1940's and the numbers on the bottom of the separate pieces should all be in the 7000 range( 7300-7392). These numbers represent each shape within the pattern.

Your five-piece set has a current value of $250 to $325 as long as there are no dents, wobble when sitting on a flat surface, and no monograms.

Deduct 10% each for any of those issues on the five pieces.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local) , Ioffer.com, Ebay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks! Bonuses are also welcome!

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.