Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I inherited a lot of antique furniture from my mother. One

Customer Question

Hi. I inherited a lot of antique furniture from my mother. One piece is a gentleman's chair from the 17th century. I was able to find an exact piece with a broken leg for $100. But this was the prized possession of an old dealer my mom knew in the 70's that she got when he passed away. It's in excellent condition and my siblings say its worth $20,000 plus. As you can see, I'm a bit confused. How can a piece be worth $20,000 if the broken one is only worth $100.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I could send a picture of it. For that matter, I could send a picture of all the items. Also, I have a piece of carved ivory still in the packaging. I can't tell if it's legal to sell it or if I have to keep it or what to do with this.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups. Thoughtful responses take time.

I can only answer about your chair here in this one question. Too much research is required to do anything else.

How many screws does the chair have? What type of screws are they?

How tall is the chair>

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Please send photos.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Kind regards,
Doris