Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Have a China head (glazed) doll, 19", cloth body, tiny

Have a China head (glazed) doll, 19", cloth body, tiny waist. No marks on shoulder plate but odd marks appear to be stamped on her cloth back just below plate beginning with a Y or a W, difficult to read.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
Customer: I don't think this is a valuable doll but would like to identify it.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Don't think so.

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Hi~

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

I received one image of your doll, seated with her dress. At your convenience, please send a photo of the mark on the backside that you mention and a clear,in-focus, well-lit image of her face.

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have asked someone to try to photograph the back of my doll where I can see faint letters/numbers near the shoulder plate; however, we will need a very bright light. I hope to do this on Sat., Jan. 14, at the latest. Thank you, ***** *****

Hi Donna,

At your convenience - there is not a time limit here.

~Nora

Hi Donna,

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sent via Customer Care Support)

I have images now, they are posted here. ~Nora

Thank you for your patience.

Your doll is likely German and dates to the 1890’s, based on the hairstyle and the ‘low brow’. The gilded hair, however, is rather unusual. The doll market is currently a bit flat. These molded hair dolls from the 1890’s used to sell for $300 - $400 before the Recession. Because of the unusual hair, yours could reach as high as $175 on today’s market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Hi~

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I will be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please add "For Nora Only” at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.

Sincerely,

Nora