Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a silver tea service that says W Fairbairns & Sons,

Customer Question

I have a silver tea service that says W Fairbairns & Sons, Sheffield and a capital letter T on the bottom. What, if anything, can you tell me about it?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: There are five pieces: A tea and coffee pot have stands that appear to be like chaffing dishes. I purchased it from an elderly friend when she needed some money probably 20- 25 years ago. There is a coffee pot, two tea pots, and a sugar and creamer.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I don't think so. It is just sitting in the china cabinet and I thought maybe I should sell now myself.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups. Thoughtful responses take time.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Please send a photo of your set.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words/and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had thought that a photo would be needed and I will get that done asap and send to you. Thank you

There is no hurry at this end.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We are having a very difficult time trying to make out what is on the bottom of the tea pot. The coffee pot only has W G on the bottom, and the other three items have the W Fairbairns & Sons Sheffield and the number 314. I am wondering if they are even a set.

One mark is earlier than the other but they are the same makers.

I thought there were two stands/warmers?

Please try to resend marks photos. They did not come through at this end.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I took everything out and began looking at the markings, what I thought was another warmer, is not, and apparently not even by the same maker. We did not send a photo of the markings yet...still trying to decipher what is on the bottom of the one tea pot. The photos that are attached are for a teapot, the coffee pot, and the creamer. We are working on the the other photos. By the way...Happy New Year.

The pictures of the marks are very blurred. I cannot read them even when I edit them.

Please use the macro (flower) function of your camera to take the pictures of the marks. The ones I really need are ones that have the circle at the beginning.

Kind regards,

Doris