rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a gold men's ring with a cameo, on black. She has a

Customer Question

I have a gold men's ring with a cameo, white on black. She has a band around her head with a short bow hanging from the back. She is facing right. The ring mounting is etched on both sides with heart-shaped carving, which is very badly worn. The top and bottom of the mounting are also etched. It appears to be very old and worn from wear. Perhaps you can help me identify it's age and "reality".
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
Customer: You can't determine the reality of the cameo from my description?
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: It was bought from a hock shop in the 30's or 40's, and apparently new.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There were no photos of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks on the inner shank of the ring (14k, 10k, 18k, etc).
The add files feature works best if you add one pic, add something like PIC 1 in the text box, hit send, then do the next.
Once you do add pictures, give me some time to research.
No need to sit by the computer, you will get an email when I respond.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not have a digital camera. The marking on the shank is worn, but is probably 14k.

This is a 14k carved cameo ring that was common for ladies to wear in the 1880's to 1910 time period

if the piece also has engraving on the gold as well. The value of a Victorian era carved cameo ring is

$250 to $300 retail. These rings were also made in 10k gold during this time and if the ring is 10k,

then the value is $150 to $200 retail. A small-town jeweler could test the ring purity for you for free if the mark is

no longer readable with a jeweler's loupe (magnifier).
Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, OfferUp.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks! Bonuses are also welcome!

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.