Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraisals
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Dear Sirs, I have a 150 piece set of Haviland Lomouge China.

Dear Sirs,
I have a 150 piece set of Haviland Lomouge China. The Story is our relative Ephraim Eckley was a senator from Ohio and the set was used for a dinner for President Cleveland./Users/loisannecraig/Desktop/IMG_0944.jpg/Users/loisannecraig/Desktop/IMG_0948.jpg/Users/loisannecraig/Desktop/IMG_0947.jpg/Users/loisannecraig/Desktop/IMG_0949.jpg/Users/loisannecraig/Desktop/IMG_0945.jpg
Can you give me any information about it?

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups. Thoughtful responses take time.

I cannot get to the reference you give. I cannot see items on your desktop unless they have an internet address.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Doris I sent pictures in pdf and haven't heard anything. Do you have any information?LoisAnne Craig

I am sorry but images do not ever come through in pdf format and have I not received any further information from you since I requested it.

This is how to send images:

Please try again using different formats.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please see attached I'll send them Jpeg.

What a lovely hand painted pattern!

If you want value, the I need more information.

"Sets" come in many different sizes.

Please tell me the following -

How many people does your set serve?

How many pieces does each person have?

What serving pieces are there? These can add as much as 30% to the value of a set.
Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The set has 10 dinner plates, 10 more smaller dinner plates, 10 salad plates, 10 bowls, (maybe dessert?) 5 cassrole dishes with lids 2 serving bowl 2 large platters, 11 demitass cups, 10 small coffiee cups with 10 plates under them, 10 larger coffee with plates under them cups. 10 double handled coffee cups with plates under them. 10 small bowls (I'm not sure how they were used) 1 gravy bowl with lid and one butter dish. This is so outside my experience. We opened the three boxes that these dishes have been stored in by family for over 50 years. This is the first time they have been viewed by family in years.The final count of pieces was 155.Thank you,
LoisAnne Craig

Thank you for the information and photos. They really help.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I want you to have the best answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Theodore Haviland was the son of David Haviland, the founder of the famous Haviland china factories.

The mark on your hand painted china dates the period of your set to be 1895-1903.

My research and calculations helped me to determine your set has an estimated retail value of $4500-5000 assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

Plus, I considered its history.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.
These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

A method that could be very effective would be to place a classified in the "Maine Antique Digest" It has a large readership of collectors all across the country.

I highly recommend this method. They only charge $25 for 25 words in a classified ad. This publication is a monthly newspaper as well as on their internet website.

http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/advertising

HOW TO PACK AND SEND CHINA:

China is best packed with 2 paper plates between the plates, platters and saucers. Then wrap a few plates together with several layers of bubble wrap. Tape the loose ends of the bubble wrap together.
For cups and bowls, wrap separately with a couple of layers of bubble wrap.

Put a several inch layer of crunched newspaper in the bottom of each packing box.

Arrange the heavier items on the newspaper first. Then add the cups and small bowls on top of the heavier pieces.

In a second box, crunched newspaper, stacked plates face up, not on edges followed by lighter items.

Before putting the newspaper in the bottoms, reinforce the bottom and sides of a strong corrugated box with cut corrugated sheets (cut from another box). Then start with the crunched newsprint.

After filling each box up to about 5 inches from the top, put several inches of crunched newsprint on the top of the stacked china.

Firmly tape the box closed with several layers of tape.

Write two things on all the sides of the boxes - "Fragile" and "Top" with arrows pointing to the top.

On the top, write "This side up."

For expensive items, the Postal service will allow one to purchase higher insurance.

If possible, ship two-day service. This eliminates long trips with boxes transferred from truck to truck.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Doris, your answer helped a great deal. I have no intention of selling it. However I do want to put on my homeowners insurance. I have another question for you on a set of silver from 1834. I will send pictures and additional information. Thank you.

I am very sorry but it is against Just Answer site policy to stack questions.

You will need to go back to the login and enter another piece as a separate question.

I would be delighted to help you there.

Just type "For Doris Only" as the first three words of your question. Most of the pros on the site will respect that request.

Again, I would be glad to help but enter the piece in new question.

Positive please on this one here. Use the 5 stars.

Kind regards,

Doris

I am only credited by JA for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Thank you so much for the positive rating and generous bonus! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. Most professionals on the site will honor that request.

Thank you again.