Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have an old porcelain ewer, possibly colonial...doubtful.,

Customer Question

I have an old porcelain ewer, possibly colonial...doubtful. Brown, bulbous base with gold flowers and bird. Top is white with gold edging and curlicue gold handle. Base is about 5" wide and all 15 1/2" tall. It is ink stamped with a swallow ? and possibly E S enclosed in and oval. The letters and numbers above ...7(F)?) 6(G?)/4700. The whole piece has an undercoat of White. It's a very graceful, well balanced piece.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
Customer: The value is unimportant to me. I'm interested in it's history. Where can I find information about this for my family?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: My family came over on the Mayflower and fought in the Revolutionary war, but this doesn't look that old....though my mother said it was Colonial...she also had slight dementia at the time....so we really don't know from where it originated.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 9 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups. Thoughtful responses take time.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Please send a photo of the ewer.

Can you send me a photo of the marks on the bottom?

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Kind regards,
Doris