Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I am trying to find the value of my Spode Copeland China

I am trying to find the value of my Spode Copeland China England Sheraton Designs 9886 luncheon set.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have a tea pot, sugar bowl, creamer, 8 tea cups, 8 saucers, & 7 luncheon plates.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: No, I don't think so.

Hi My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Spode china.

Can you just confirm I have the right pattern. Is it this one?

And the inventory is:

8 tea cups & saucers,

7 luncheon plates (size?)

Creamer & sugar

Tea pot.

Many thanks,
Robert

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Robert,yes, that is the correct pattern and inventory quantity. The luncheon plates are 8".Regards,
Alison
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Robert,Please disregard my request for a phone call. I am fine continuing online. I am new to this process and thought I had to accept the phone call request.Regards,
Alison

Great, thanks for confirming that. That's all I need.

Just out of curiosity, can you look on the bottoms of the plates and see if you can see a two digit mark impressed into the clay (no ink). You may have to look on a couple of them to be able to read the number.

Many thanks,
Robert.

PS. There's no need to respond to any phone request, it will cost you an extra $18 which you don't need to pay. The phone requests appear to come from me, but do not, they are automatically generated by the site. I don't work for JustAnswer, I operate as an independent appraiser ‘on’ but not ‘for’ the site, so have no control over what they put on your screen! So my apologies for that. Thanks R.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It looks like an "S" over "44".

That's it! Excellent! The "S" is a factory code for the clay body and "44" was the year, 1944, that your set was made. In the middle of World War II, no less, which is most interesting, as the only decorative china allowed to be produced in Staffordshire by the British War Office at the time, was that being exported to North America to earn valuable $$$ for the war effort. All other production at Spode had been reduced to utilitarian wares and industrial porcelain insulators and the like.

Leave this with me and I'll have a full answer and a value for you as soon as I can.

Robert

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, Robert!I was told there was a very interesting (but I didn't remember) story behind the timing of the china when I inherited it from my Grandmother 20 years ago!Thank you,
Alison

Right! Was it a wedding present to your grandmother, perhaps? If so she must have been a war bride and this style fits that era perfectly.

This pretty pattern, "Sheraton Designs", with its floral sprays and mulberry colored wavy and stippled border, is right out of the 1930s to 1950s when this pattern was issued by Spode. It may not have been in production all that long because it's quite rare. Unfortunately rarity in this case is a disadvantage, because if it's not turning up much on the secondary market (auctions and on line sales etc) there's no body of collectors creating a demand for it by buying replacements or building sets. So prices for it are modest, I'm afraid.

Having said that, Spode will always remain one of the preeminent names in English china manufacture and therefore you'll never have difficulty finding a buyer, should you ever wish to sell.

Here are the value ranges to expect if you were to sell at a good antique auction house, or on line (eBay etc).

8 tea cups & saucers...................... 50 - 75 (for all)

7 luncheon plates (8")................... 60 - 90

Creamer & sugar............................ 20 - 30

Tea pot........................................... 45 - 60.

Total....................................circa $175 - $250

The set therefore has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique store, say) of $500. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

If you do decide to dispose of it, you might get a bit more if you sold it off piece by piece. Each cup & saucer, for instance, would sell on eBay in the range of $12 - $20, and you may get as much as $100 for the teapot, but then you have all that time consuming packing and shipping to consider.

If I were you, I would keep it, put it in the attic for a generation or two, with a note about its history, as well as the info I've given you and, who knows, it might be worth a bundle to your heirs or their heirs.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, Robert.The timing would make sense for a wedding gift; as my mother was born in 1949 and her older sister was born in 1946.
I am disappointed by the values. My recollection was that my grandmothers' appraiser had valued the set at $1500 20 yrs ago. I understand your point about there needing to be a demand for it, but it still seems low.Best,
Alison

Yes, it's disappointing, I know, and your grandmother's appraisal of 20 years ago would have been spot on.

These sets of English china have tumbled in value in the intervening years, as fashions and tastes have changed.

Very few these days have formal dinner parties any more, or entertain with fine china, so they have become purely decorative.

Antiques, like everything else are subject to the pendulum swing of fashion and if we wait long enough these beautiful sets will be valuable once again. Besides, they are not making any more of it. Staffordshire in England once produced half the world's china. It's now a ghost town and production has moved, ironically, back to China where it all began.

Thanks for not shooting the messenger. I wish I could have told you it were worth more, but you'd be doubly disappointed if and when you came to sell it that I'd given you false hope.

Best wishes,
Robert.