rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I am trying to identify the markings on some silver pieces.

Customer Question

Hello. I am trying to identify the markings on some silver pieces. Is there a basic list of what they all mean somewhere?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: The pieces belonged to my mother. There's a coffee set, two tiny spoons, a sugar cube picker upper and salt and pepper shakers. They all have a sideways EP at the end of the other markings. Does that mean they are electroplated or is that somebody's initial?
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: What I can read on the coffee set are the following B&GGS, 10937. The sugar cube thing says EPNS Made in England.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 12 days ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. There were no photos of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the mark on the bottom and of the piece.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Expert:  rarewares replied 12 days ago.

The sideways EP mean Electro Plated, the EPNS means Electro Plated Nickel Silver, and B& GGS is the Sheffield, England maker Boardman and Glossop, the number being the pattern number. All of thee pieces ate late 1800's, early 1900's English silver plate (not sterling) and have values of

$100 for the coffee set, $10 each for spoons, $10 for sugar tongs, and $20 for salt and pepper shakers.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, OfferUp.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!

Expert:  rarewares replied 10 days ago.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.