Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have an Elgin pocket watch. Serial number 5555943. It is

Customer Question

I have an Elgin pocket watch. Serial number(###) ###-#### It is missing the glass piece that covers the numbers. And I was wondering what it is worth? I'm not sure if it works, but I haven't tried to wind it, because I don't know how and don't want to break it. I don't even know if they had batteries in them back in 1894
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 16 days ago.

Hello, my name is Glenda
.
Do you have pictures you can send?
.

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
.

Or you can send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 16 days ago.

Hello

I am sorry I do not do phone conversations. They are not needed in order to do an appraisal. Written is best for you so it can be printed.

.

This is your answer, please rate this after reading it. This is important to me getting credit for my work.
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.
The Watch does not have a battery, you wind it up with the top button. It has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $350.00-425.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it.
.
Clicking the stars at the top right of your page, then click the green rate button.
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.
If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Glenda, the pocket you just appraised for me didn't say if the outside is silver, which I believe it is, and the inside is gold or verify the jewels, grade #, etc. Can you please send me that information?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Glenda, can u please let me know if you got my last set of questions?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I wasn't aware that by rating you, I couldn't ask anymore questions. I need to know the 2nd set of questions.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 15 days ago.

Hello

You have not rated me yet, and even when you do you can continue to communicate with me.

This is silvertone, not sterling silver if it is sterling it would be marked .925 or say sterling. Also if is gold it will be marked 14kt gold.

Here are the official specifications on your watch:

Grade: 109

Manufacturer:Elgin

Manufacturer Location:Elgin, Illinois

Movement Serial Number(###) ###-####/p>

grade 109

Model:1

Class:60

Estimated Production Year:1895

Jewels 7j

Movement Finish-Gilt

Movement Setting Pendant

.
.

Glenda,
.
.
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 13 days ago.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question.
.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.
.
I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda