Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a cruet stand - holds 8 with marks of a crown, a

Customer Question

I have a cruet stand - holds 8 with marks of a crown, a heart and an omega - looks similar to Paul Storr but I have no idea who made it
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: That's it - it belonged to my husband - he got it from his mother - but don't know more than that
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: no
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Please send a photo of the cruet.

Can you send me a photo of the marks?

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have an iPhone - these could be crude

I deeply appreciate your patience.

My laptop died today. I just got back online.

Unfortunately, your images of the marks are too blurred to be legible.

Are there traces of letters in the heart? Do you see a walking lion?

Kind regards,

Doris

I

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The heart is much too small for anything to be scratched in it - there is a date scratched on the bottom - 1853,but that's it.
no walking lion.
the omega is in a shield and the crown looks like that in most Hallmark notes

Thank you for the information. Let me see what I can do.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I want you to have the best answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Please understand that one of my specialties in silver. I have collected, sold and appraised it for almost 60 years. I have over 100 books on silver.

That said, I have exhausted all my resources in trying to locate marks that look similar to your description. Unfortunately, the marks I am trying to see in your pictures are either too rubbed or too blurred in the images to get a definitive answer to the maker or type of metal.

In cases like this, I must tell you that you will need to test the silver to see if it is sterling or plated silver. You can buy a testing kit at Amazon.com or have your local jeweler test it for you.

I can say that your condiment cruet set is late 19thC or early 20thC. Also, some of the bottles are not original. If you look carefully, you will see these do not march.

This flaw is quite common as the glass bottles are fragile.

Also the quality of the marks has an influence on value.

If your cruet is sterling, it would have an estimated retail value of $900-1400 as is.

If your cruet is plated silver, the estimated retail value of $170-200 as is.

See the following images - both cruets have matching bottles. One is sterling with a reduced retail price of $1320. The plated one has a retail value of $215.

There is a wonderful service in London that makes glass bottles to match. The pricing is not cost effective if you plan to sell your cruet. However, if you plan to keep your cruet, you might consider it. See The Blue Crystal website here: http://www.bluecrystalglass.co.uk/

Yes the name suggests only blue pieces but they make all types of glass.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Here are the images.