Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have an old bracelet, brooch and two Mourning brooches

Customer Question

I have an old bracelet, brooch and two Mourning brooches that I would like to have seen--over 100 years old -prob much older.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It was two little old ladies (when my mom was little) that would pawn" their jewelry to my grandfather and he would give it back after a while--they had a drunk of a nephew that kept steallng their things. This last time they died before they got it back. My grandfather was a cotton farmer-700 acres- and had a sawmill and drilled wells--he just took care of all the people around there. Just been in a box so I locked it away until I figure out what to do ..The bracelet is so dainty and fragile that I put it on once and took it back off before I broke it- people were tiny back then
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 13 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups.

Actually, this is not mourning jewelry. I sold Victorian and other 19thC jewelry in my store.

I have collected it since the 50s.

Is the gold colored metal marked as gold would be?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
the back of the bracelet is worn smooth and I cannot see well enough to see anything--I am sure if you have been doing it this long you have some kind of answer for me-
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am not paying extra - am I going to get an expert or not? I have to dispute this card if not

Answers/responses are not instantaneous here. This is not in chat room format.

You would not need to open the jewelry to see the marks if they are gold. The marks could be very tiny on a catch or a link

Are you familiar with pinchbeck?

I would deeply appreciate your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Pinchbeck is an alloy of copper and zinc resembling gold. It was often used in 19thC and Victorian jewelry.

If there are no marks, the only way to tell if your pieces are solid gold is to test them with an acid kit. These can be bought on Amazon.com. Alternatively, your jeweler can test them for you.

If the brooches are gold-filled, they would have an estimated retail value of between $85-225 each.

If they are solid gold, the estimated retail value would be $780-1100.

It is impossible to tell from a photo if these are pinchbeck, gold filled or actually gold.

See the following images:

Kind regards,

Doris

The bracelet would have the following estimated retail values:

Pinchbeck - $95 - 110

Gold-filled - $150-180

Gold - $1500-2000 depending on Karats.

Kind regards,

Doris

Positive, please.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
what is the total on my credit card please?

We pros do not know what the site charges are.

See here -

Site Charges:

We professionals are not considered employees of Just Answer, We are verified by the site to answer questions in our fields. We are considered site users just like you. Therefore we have no knowledge of or control over the finances of the site or what they charge customers.
If you wish to discuss site charges, you may contact customer support at

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Or by phone:

US/Canada 1.***-***-****
Available 6am to 9pm PST

International
Australia 1800-679-634
New Zealand 0800-452-621
United Kingdom 0***-***-****
The rest of the world 1-***-***-****

Kind regards,

Doris