rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a Limoges WmGuerin & Co Fran Gold Rimmed plate. Gold

Customer Question

I have a Limoges WmGuerin & Co Fran Gold Rimmed plate. Gold rim is 1 1/2 inches with a picture of a gold lion 1 inch x 1 inch on the center top with what looks like H 9D under the Lion. Lyon is wearing a crown and carrying a cross staff with a ribbon draped on it?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
Customer: Hello?
JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I was wondering what the Lyon represents on the plate?
JA: Is there anything else the antiques appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I purchased it this weekend at an Estate Sale. The house was very bad shape but full of Bishop belongings.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 2 months ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. There were no photos of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Working on getting photo onto my computer. I'm not knowledgeable about these things. Will have it soon.

Sure, I will see your photos in the morning and answer then.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here are the photos.

This is a gold encrusted pattern Limoges porcelain plate made and decorated by William Guerin of Limoges, France between

1900 to 1932. Guerin did not name their patterns but this type of edging is referred to as gold encrusted.

The lion and HgD is an indication that the set of dinnerware was custom ordered for a family with the lion as their family motto

and the initials HGD as the family monogram, likely part of a wedding gifted set from where the bride was registered. Guerin was also a New York importer, so the set was likely ordered at one of the large department stores in New York. While HGDH (His or Her Grand Ducal Highness) was an abbreviation used for non-reigning members of German royalty, I do not see a connection here. While religious abbreviation of His Grace would bring you to H G, the g would never be lower case, so I have ruled that out. I also do not see expensive French porcelain being used in a diocese. The answer is usually the most simple one, being that this was a piece passed down by descendants of the Bishop.

This plate has a current value of $75.00 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, OfferUp.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.