Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

We have a book titled HUCKLEBERRY FINN with a publish date

Customer Question

We have a book titled HUCKLEBERRY FINN with a publish date of 1894. The book is in excellent condition. We also have a lot of very small books; about 3" square and leather bound. They are all dated from the 1800's. Are these books valuable? None of these books show a lot of wear and/or tear for as old as they are.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 22 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups.

My research indicates that the current retail value of an 1894 Huckleberry Finn book in good condition would be $75.

As for your 1800s books, the value might vary widely. All depends on how rare they are and condition. If many copies were printed, they would probably not be worth over $75. As an example, the average Bible from the 1800s would rarely be worth over $50-65 as there were many copies printed.

For more information on how to sell books:
http://www.internetbookselling.com/sell-old-books.html

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.