rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a beveled picture of a volcano with silver birds also

Customer Question

Hello, I have a beveled picture of a volcano with silver birds also it is gold and silver with some kind of black beveled in there. It has a chine mark with in gold square next to it has 3 black chinese letters. The volcano is in a silver plated frame. I don't know how to find out who the artist is can you help?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the antiques appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: The volcano looks like it has a snow cap on top of it. The beveled picture is beautiful I just do not know anything about it. It is all beveled even the signature. Sorry about my typing not good at it. Denise
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 18 days ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the piece,
signatures if any and back of piece for any writing or labels.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I sent the picture and also the mark on the bottom so you should of gotten 2 pictures. I hope I did it correctly. Thank you Denise
Expert:  rarewares replied 18 days ago.

You did great. It looks like the question was listed twice, so I will add my answer here as well since I am not sure which one you will see.

This is Japanese etched metal art in a technique called Chokin, this piece made by by Lin-Art Ltd. in the 1980's. The ancient art of chokin was used to decorate the armament of the samurai warriors during the feudal period of Japan (1192-1858). The work is created by gilding a copper plate with gold and silver and applying acids to create the colorful engraved surface. Each work is signed, and a clear protective finish applied. This particular work (this company used inexpensive metals like brass, copper and steel and not real gold and silver) is in wonderful condition, and is nicely framed, and features a Mt. Fuji landscape with cranes. This piece has a current value of $60 to $80 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, OfferUp.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!