Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have a clock that I purchased in the 198-'s that I am

Customer Question

I have a clock that I purchased in the 198-'s that I am interested understanding its value. It is a French Black Marble, at least in style. It is a mantle clock and very heavy. The dial is signed Tiffany Young and Ellis, and the movement is signed Achille Brocot. It is running and keeping perfect time. I have the original key and it is serialized with the same number as the movement, bezel, and pendulum. It has a bell strike, and the front and back glass windows are original. It has a brocot escapement, but not visible from the outside as many of the brocot style are.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the antiques appraiser should know?
Customer: I think I put in all the pertinent information.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 15 days ago.

Hi my name is***** you for coming to Just Answer.
.
I will be glad to help you today.
.
This is your answer, please rate this after reading it. This is important to me getting credit for my work.
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.
The Tiffany Young and Ellis, signed movement by Achille Brocot Marble Mantle Clock, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $1***-**-****.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it.
.
Clicking the stars at the top right of your page, then click the green rate button.
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.
If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I was hoping in your answer you might provide some background. I should have asked specifically:
1- I estimate its age to be from 1840-1850. Would you agree? If not, when? My key dating is the Tiffany Young and Ellis signature which I think puts the clock into that bracket.
2- Does the fact that the clock serial numbers are consistent through the movement, key, dial, bezel, and pendulum have an effect on its value?
3- Does the fact that the clock is currently in use and keeping good time have an effect on its value?
4- Does the fact that the movement is from a renowned maker have an effect on its value?Thanks again.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 15 days ago.

Hello

The Clock dates to 1840 -1845,

Matching serial numbers do make the value better that is why it is valued at the price I quoted, mismatched ones are much less. All values are given as if an item was in top condition and working. Unless the customer tells us up front the item is less then. The makes name is ***** ***** clock is valued at this value. All the information you provided is how the clock was looked up for value on today's market.

.

Achille Brocot 11 July 1817 – 19 January 1878) was a French clockmaker and amateur mathematician.

He is known for his discovery of the Stern–Brocot tree, a mathematical structure useful in approximating real numbers by rational numbers; this sort of approximation is an important part of the design of gear ratios for clocks.

He also made many practical horological innovations including refinement of his father Louis-Gabriel's Brocot escapement and the development of clocks with perpetual calendar mechanisms. In order to commercially exploit his original designs, together with Jean-Baptiste Delettrez he established the clockmaking company "Brocot & Delettrez" in Paris on 20 October 1851, a partnership that would continue until his death.

.

The Clock was Retailed by Tiffany Young & Ellis, New York,

In 1837, with $1,000 Tiffany and a school friend, John B. Young, set up a small stationery and gift shop in New York City. The store expanded in 1841 and changed its name to Tiffany, Young and Ellis. It established a reputation for selling only the finest goods and specialized in Bohemian glass and porcelain. It also began manufacturing its own jewelry. In the early 1850s, the company was reorganized under the name Tiffany and Company and opened branches in Paris (1850) and London (1868). The store also relocated uptown to a Fifth Avenue location in that decade.

.

.

Glenda,
.
.
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 12 days ago.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question.
.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.
.
I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda