Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

We found 4 Delft plates (one dated 1658) and one small Delft

Customer Question

We found 4 Delft plates (one dated 1658) and one small Delft bowl while cleaning out our attic and was wondering what the worth of these items would be?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: One plate has 3 windmills and a riverbank is dated 1658 and was made in Holland. The other 3 have mark RVC and were made in Germany. The bowl has sort of large scalloped edge and was also made in Germany
JA: Is there anything else the antiques appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: not to my knowledge
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
These are front and back pictures. First the front and then the back. Thanks!
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the images, please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Wondering where we are with the appraisal on the Delft plates. Thanks!
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

I have received your images and thank you for your patience. Blue and white tin glazed earthenware that is made in Holland is called Delft (with an upper case D) it is both the name of a Dutch city and for this type of ceramic ware. Blue and white wares from other countries is referred to as delft-style with a lower case d.

The pieces with RXC marks are actually German porcelain done in a delft-style decoration. Bear in mind, true Delft from Holland is tin glazed earthenware, whereas porcelain is naturally white and made with kaolin and petuntse clays. In other words, 3 of your plates are a different material than the one with the numbers 1658 on it.

The plates with RXC marks were made in Germany from 1896 - 1906 by Rosenthal in their "delft" line. The additional names such as Versailles and Lion D'Or are for the mold shape pattern. The decoration on the plate is transferprinted not hand painted. These each sell for up to $20 per plate.

The plate marked with the numbers 1658 was actually produced in the 20th century. The decoration on the plate is hand painted, not transfer printed. The number series is for inventory cataloging and not a year. The maker initials/mark is LVS which is not from the Royal Factory. On today's market, that plate can sell for up to $40 depending on size.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora