Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I recently found a large trophy with a date of 1918 engraved

Customer Question

Good evening. I recently found a large trophy with a date of 1918 engraved on it. The only marking I found on the bottom was Derby Silver Co and the number 985. How can I research this further ?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the antiques appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: The only other thing I can add it that it is app. 17" tall with double handles (one on each side). It has A.W. Cornelius Cup Baby Parade Asbury Park 1915 engraved on what is probably the front.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 21 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Please send a photo of the trophy.

Can you send me a photo of the marks on the bottom?

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Good evening Doris.......Thank you for your fast response........Please bear with me as I am totally new at this process.......Additional information is as follows: First and most importantly is that the base of this item had broken off through out the years. It is however authentic. Also some verification can be provided as there is additional photo from 1915 with the trophy and my father. The photo is in gold toned or brass toned oval antique frame, oval, app. 26" tall and 16" wide. I am just trying to determine it this is worth pursuing or forget about it............I guess I could send photos somehow should it be worth while........my email is***@******.*** ......Is there any way you receive calls ????? Thanks again......Cliff Hulsart

Yes JA can offer you Premium Services. The site charges you an extra $38 to provide that service. I only get a portion of that in addition to a portion of what you are paying for asking about this trophy. The total of all the charges by JA would be about $76.

Do you want to pay the extra $38?

I used to carry Trophies in my store. Just because the piece is engraved with a date, it was probably not actually made in the same year. That is why I wanted pictures of the mark.

I can tell you that if the trophy is large and decorative, it can sell well in contrast to other plated silver.

Let me know if you wish JA to offer you a phone call from me.

I'm not allowed to call you separately from the JA service but you will be talking to me.

Kind regards,

Doris