Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a sofa from 1950's. I'm trying to find out whom makes

Customer Question

I have a sofa from 1950's. I'm trying to find out whom makes it, and possible model. We have redone the upholstery, but the wood cut with the fabric combination of sewing is the same.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
The couch has a T.H. Robsjohn Gibbings Style or a Paul McCobb style, but we are not certain.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It has a lot of curves to the back legs, and only 4 legs. The sofa is about 7 feet wide.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Originally, the top cushion on the chair and sofa rolled over into the wood rather than having sewn creases; like it was smoother for the top cushions on the back of the chairs.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It was believed that the pieces were purchased in Atlanta during 1954.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
They should be a set.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
The wood is very dense, and is believed to be oak or teak. When they went to restrain it they mentioned that the wood was so dense it was hard for it to absorb.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
The original couch looked like the photo attached.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 22 days ago.

Hello

Without this being marked there is no way to determine who made this, or what they may have called it. Online appraisals are limited to pretty much values when items are not marked. This can be valued for you, if you like. The wood is most likely Teak, as this was common in the 50's.

Glenda

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
You literally didn't give me an answer to what I was asking. I told you what you just restated
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 22 days ago.

Hello

You are correct, I did not answer this. I was letting you know that without this being marked there is no way to know who made this or what model name they gave it. I also let you know that at best all that can be done online is a value.

Glenda