Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I live in San Diego, California. I have an old painting (

Customer Question

I live in San Diego, California. I have an old painting ( oil on canvas) dating back to around 1685... How could I get an appraisal of the work?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Back around 1890, my great grandfather bought at an auction ( In Salamanca, Spain) a lot of several paintings. This one always caught his attention, and the attention of all who see it: Is a Madona with Child. After doing some research, we found out that the canvas material as well as the oil paints used date back to late XV)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the antiques appraiser should know?
Customer: To the late XVII century. Is a replica of one of Bartolome Murillo's " Madonas with Child", executed probably by one of the students in his School/Academy.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 19 days ago.

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Please pot a photo of the overall painting and a clear close up of the artist signature. I will also need the measurements of the painting to give you accurate information and value. To post photos please clip on the file upload or paper clip button and follow the prompts or you can email to ***@******.*** and in the email please put "forCustomerquot; so the company knows to forward on to me. Thank you I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you. I'll do that when I go home later tonight or tomorrow morning.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you. Measurements: 32" by 40". No signature. Apparently, was cut to reduce size .

Thank you so much I will review these research and post back when completed. It may be tomorrow so please know when I have posted you will receive an email from the company saying I have answered your question.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you, Tanya.
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 18 days ago.

Just checking in to let you know I am still researching this painting and want to be as accurate as possible.