Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have this large book dated 1657 by Sir Riley. It looks

Customer Question

I have this large book dated 1657 by Sir Walter Riley.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It looks like a bible. It has maps of where the Garden of Eden was.
JA: Is there anything else the antiques appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: All my Lawyer told me was to put it in my safety deposit box.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 20 days ago.

Please send an image of the title and publisher page(s) at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
It's called History of The World. I will have to go to the bank and get it out if deposit box tomorrow.Its so big I've got it wrapped in unbleached Muslim and the top cover has come loose. Are you Ann or Judith?
Expert:  Nora replied 20 days ago.

I can ballpark it for you. The author is actually Sir Walter Raleigh (note, not Riley) and the first printing of The History of the World was in 1614. First printings can sell for up to just under $20,000. A later 1657 printing retails for $1500 - $2500 on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora