Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Going through family heirlooms and found a Floradora doll

Customer Question

Going through family heirlooms and found a Floradora doll from 1909. She is in pieces but everything is there including original clothing. How much would she be worth?
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the antiques appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Hello?
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: i have a Floradora doll, 1909 in pieces but everything there including original clothing. Is she worth something?
JA: Is there anything else the antiques appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Found in boxes of family heirlooms.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 24 days ago.

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Let me know if the pics don't come through
Expert:  Nora replied 23 days ago.

Thank you for the images. Is there a maker/country of origin mark on the back of the head or torso?

~Nora

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I am away for a couple of days but will message you when I get home & can check the doll. Thank you
Expert:  Nora replied 22 days ago.

Ok great, at your convenience. There is not a time limit here. ~Nora

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hi Nora. Can you give me a ball park figure? I'm pretty sure she's authentic. My great grandmother is Danish and it's been in a box for many years.
Expert:  Nora replied 22 days ago.

Generally Floradora dolls have porcelain bisque heads and not composition. The image here appears to show a composition or papier mache head in a slightly different color tone than the body part pieces; these may nor be original pieces to each other nor a true Floradora doll. May I please know if there is a mark on the torso or back of neck that would indicate such? The outfits, in current condition, altogether could bring as high as $40 - $60 and the doll pieces in current condition could bring as high as $30.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora